Wagner, The Early Years
Wagner, The Early Years
In 1922, Eddie Wagner moved to Oregon and with his brothers started a company called Mixermobile, named after a creative machine that could quickly mix and place concrete. The brothers began to experiment with 4-wheel-drive wheel loaders, which led to the start of Wagner Tractor and the manufacture of construction equipment. In 1949 Eddie???s brother, Elmer Wagner invented the 4-wheel drive articulated vehicle.
In 1958, Hidden Splendor Mining Company in Moab, Utah, asked Eddie Wagner to build a front-end loader for underground mining. At that time, rail loaders were widely used but Hidden Splendor management was looking for a more maneuverable vehicle that could successfully travel the narrow and twisting drifts in underground mines.
After hearing about Hidden Splendor???s new trackless loader, Phillips Petroleum approached Eddie Wagner, then vice president of Wagner Tractor, to build a similar vehicle for its mine in New Mexico. Working nights and weekends, Eddie Wagner completed and shipped the first articulated, rubber-tire, front-end loader mining scoop, the MS-1, in the summer of 1958. In October that year, Eddie, his wife Mary and their son Richard founded Wagner Mining Scoop Company.
Equipment and Patents
Success and other innovations quickly followed the MS-1: the MT-10, the first rear dump truck capable of hauling a 10-ton capacity-only 8 feet wide, 22 feet long and 60 inches high; a Teletram® (the MTT-425), the first underground 4-wheel drive horizontal discharge telescopic dump mine truck; and the ST-5 Scooptram®, the first load-haul-dump vehicle with a full reversing, 4-speed power transmission and side seating operator position.
By 1970, Wagner had a complete line of 11 models of scoops, 18 models of Scooptrams, 29 models of mine trucks including 18 different Teletrams, and 14 utility vehicles. Over the next 23 years, the company also developed the E-O-D® (eject-o-dump) bucket; Scoopy???, the company???s non-stoppable digging mascot (a mole); Strongback® bucket; SAHR® (Spring Applied Hydraulic Released) Fail-to-Safe brakes; Rock Tough® axle; MT-444 diesel mine truck with programmable Automatic Transmission Controller; Rock Tough ??? Air Conditioning system and the ST-7.5Z diesel Scooptram with Wagner-designed Z-bar boom/bucket linkage.
Wagner continued the tradition of excellence set by Eddie Wagner and soon became a world leader in mining vehicle development, serving the transport equipment needs of mines around the world.
In 1970, the first public offering of stock was made and the company???s name was changed to Wagner Mining Equipment, Inc. In 1971, PACCAR, Inc., a corporation comprising several divisions of transport vehicle manufacturing operations, gained controlling interest of Wagner, acquiring complete control by 1973.
In 1989, Wagner Mining Equipment Co. was purchased by the Swedish Company Atlas Copco AB. In 1990, its name was changed to Wagner Mining and Construction Equipment Co., reflecting the company???s additional development and manufacture of equipment for the aboveground construction equipment market.
During ConExpo ???93 the Fullback ??? 645, the world???s largest capacity articulated dump truck currently in production, was unveiled.
In March 1995, Wagner Mining and Construction Equipment Co. became Atlas Copco Wagner Inc.
During MINExpo ???96 the ST1000, ST1800, and MT5000 were launched, with product features including hydraulic front suspension, two-handed controls, automatic transmissions and higher horsepower engines.
In 1999, Atlas Copco Wagner introduced two new vehicles to the market, the MT2000, a 20 tonne capacity underground mine truck, and the ST-2G.
The ST1010, a redesign of the ST1000, was launched in March of 2000, as was the ST-8C. The ST1010 had undergone extensive redesign and re-engineering making the model easier to maintain and operate.
From Wagner Tractor to Atlas Copco Wagner, the company has provided equipment for the mining and construction industry for over forty years. Today???s vehicles are designed with state-of-the-art CAD/CAM systems, manufactured by skilled craftsmen using computer controlled plate burning machines, machining centers, and robotic weld centers, and assembled in a team-oriented, cell environment.
Based in Portland, Oregon, USA, Atlas Copco Wagner Inc. is a worldwide supplier of four-wheel drive, rubber-tire, diesel and electric-powered, articulated underground mining and construction vehicles, including Scooptrams® and Mine Trucks. The company manufactures more than 40 standard LHDs and trucks, as well as specialty utility haulage vehicles for coal mines.
Atlas Copco Wagner Inc. is a company within the Atlas Copco Group. Atlas Copco AB is an international group of industrial companies with its head office in Stockholm, Sweden. In 1999, the Group had revenues of more than $4.2 billion, with 97 percent of company revenues received from outside of Sweden, and more than 26,000 employees.
Nearly 50% of the company???s revenues were from North American operations. Atlas Copco companies develop, manufacture, and market electric and pneumatic tools; compressed air equipment; construction as well as surface and underground mining equipment; assembly systems; and offers related service and equipment rentals.
The manufacturing facilities of Atlas Copco Wagner Inc. are located at 4424 NE 158th Ave., Portland, Oregon 97230-4999 USA. For more information contact Atlas Copco Wagner Inc. at 503-255-2863 or by fax to 503-251-3014, or contact any of the company???s worldwide dealers, or the nearest Atlas Copco Sales Company.
Eduard Franckel, D.O. Francke and A.O. Wallenberg established Atlas Copco, in 1873 in the first stage of industrialism in Sweden, as a specialized manufacturer of railway equipment.
Atlas was planned on a large scale and, when it was completed several years later, it was the country???s largest metalworking company. Atlas was restructured in 1887, and a new company named Nya AB Atlas took over the business in 1890.
After the restructuring, the company sought new and more profitable product areas, and began manufacturing compressors and compressed air equipment at the turn of the century. In 1898, AB Diesels Motorer was formed to capitalize on the Swedish patent rights for the diesel engine. At the beginning of 1917, Nya AB Atlas and AB Diesels Motorer were merged into a new company, AB Atlas Diesel.
The 1920s and 30s were difficult years for the company, and there was some consideration of a complete shutdown. Another financial reconstruction was required to keep the company going. Finally, an improvement of the business cycle began in the mid-1930s, leading to an increased demand for the company???s products. Beginning in 1935, dividends were paid for the first time in 15 years.
Through significant development efforts, Atlas Diesel had gained a very good position in the market. However, sales of pneumatic equipment had increased more rapidly than the sale of engines. Pneumatic products generated almost all of the company???s profits, and more intensive development of the area in the 1930s resulted in a substantial expansion of production. It became clear to the company that the future was brighter for pneumatic products and, in 1948, the diesel business was sold.
During the Second World War, a new technological approach to rock drilling had been developed. Called the Swedish method, it led to a dynamic expansion of the company. Sales subsidiaries were established in various locations throughout the world. As the sales company network abroad was being established, production resources were being expanded by the purchase of Bjorneborg Steel Works in 1942, Injector Company AB in 1947, AB Avos in 1952, and Belgian compressor manufacturer Arpic in 1956. Atlas Copco, the compressed air company, was formed. The name Copco stands for Compagnie Pneumatique Commerciale, which was borrowed from a Belgian subsidiary.
Atlas Copco has continued to make strategic acquisitions such as Milwaukee Electric Tools, Prime Service and Rental Service, which have made it the strong, diversified, worldwide company it is today. Now forty-five percent of Atlas Copco???s annual revenues are from North America.
Additional information about Atlas Copco is available at the Group's web site, www.atlascopco-group.com, which provides access to current news about the company.
© 2000 Atlas Copco Wagner Inc. Scooptram, SAHR, Rock Tough, Teletram, StrongBack, Scoopy, and E-O-D are registered trademarks of Atlas Copco Wagner Inc. Atlas Copco is a registered trademark of Atlas Copco AB. All rights reserve