Atlas Copco STC: not just an oil cooling system
Atlas Copco introduces a revolutionary alternative for traditional oil cooling systems. The new GA VSDs compressors are equipped with a Smart Temperature Control System, developed in-house by the Atlas Copco R&D team, to ensure an optimal oil temperature at all times. Learn all about it here.
Why do I need a high-end air compressor oil cooling system?
Traditional mechanical thermostats only provide limited support. In order to ensure that the element is protected – even at the expense of greater efficiency – they tend to set a relatively high oil temperature. As a result, compressors with a mechanical thermostat consume more energy than they would with an optimized oil temperature.
- If the oil is too hot, then the compressor’s efficiency suffers and energy is wasted
- If the oil is too cold, then the risk of condensation increases
- Of course, moisture has a negative impact on the reliability of a compressed air system
Unfortunately, finding and maintaining a compressor’s ideal oil temperature has proven to be nearly impossible in the past. Because ambient conditions change constantly, a temperature that is ideal one minute may end up being inefficient the next.
That’s where the VSDs comes in.
What makes the VSDs air compressor oil cooling system so unique?
The oil temperature directly impacts the performance of your lubricated compressor. Developed in-house by Atlas Copco, the Smart Temperature Control System ensures an optimal oil temperature at all times by acting as a heater or cooler as needed.
Here is how STC works:
- An advanced algorithm in the Elektronikon® controller combines operational parameters such as motor speed, ambient temperature and humidity to calculate the optimal injection temperature.
- The Neos Next then implements this temperature by regulating the VSD fan and the new Smart Thermostatic Control valve. It’s real-time optimization to eliminate the risk of condensation while ensuring maximum compression efficiency.
- By having two active parts - the fan and the valve - we can activate a fail safe in case, for instance, the valve fails.
What else makes the VSDs better than other variable speed drive compressors?
The innovative Neos Next inverter technology is only one of the VSDs’s innovative components. Looking for the best of the best? Look no further. Our engineers innovated all crucial components:
- The unique drive train offers efficiency that another air end could never achieve
- The inverter technology greatly reduces the amount of energy needed
- Thanks to the Boost Flow Mode, you can safely exceed maximum capacity when you need it most
- You’ll save time and streamline your processes thanks to the high-end connectivity of the VSDs, both for remote monitoring and machine-to-machine communication
VSD stands for variable speed drive. Hidden behind these letters is (inverter) technology that automatically adjusts the compressor’s motor speed to the compressed air demand in real time. This often saves a lot of energy and money. Find out in this e-book how a VSD can work for you.
Would you like to discuss the ideal solution for your business? Get in touch with one of our experts, who will be happy to help you!