Experienced Metals engineer & researcher
The Materials Lab is a competence centre, which promotes research and innovation, and delivers high quality services in the field of materials, more in detail in the domains of Metals, Polymers & Composites, Coatings, Lubricants, Gas, Air & Water. Its service portfolio is aligned to clients’ needs and the progression of the state of the art and consists of qualification, troubleshooting, co-development, R&D, advice and training activities. Its competitive strength is based upon key knowledge, its application on Compressor Technique BA specific problems and a customer centric approach.
The Materials Lab is part of the “R&D and Shared Engineering Services Department” of the Airtec Division. This department runs R&D projects and offers services for the Compressor Technique Business Area, among which regarding metals. They are involved in all facets: products, communication with suppliers, R&D projects, (compressor element) product engineering, process engineering, production & field follow up. The materials team has a supporting or leading function.
The Materials Lab is looking for an experienced engineer & researcher in Metals, to lead R&D projects and deliver services. He/she has an in-depth and hands-on knowledge of metals, their properties and processes.
- To develop profound knowledge on metal parts, castings, corrosion, welding quality, bearings, surface treatments, material selection,... on their properties and processing.
- To carry out research and innovation projects on metals (scouting, feasibility, budget, planning, communication with partners and suppliers, determining a test program, gathering results, steering project team members,..).
- To perform material testing & investigations, and deliver chemical-technical support to product and process engineering teams, production, purchase and service teams (our “internal clients”). To identify root causes of product and process deviations, perform trouble shooting, qualify (new) products or applications,...
- To report results, methodology, conclusions and recommendations and to clearly communicate about results, costs and planning to the management (R&D projects) or the internal clients (Shared Engineering Services). To be able to explain difficult concepts to non-metallurgists.
- To follow-up on new developments on the market for metals (literature, conferences, suppliers, competitors,…) and process techniques, and to advice on new metal projects and product opportunities.
- To identify opportunities for improvement and/or expansion of our services.
- Continuous and strong interaction with the other metal experts of the Materials Team and with our internal clients.
- To build a network and cooperate with research institutes, suppliers and universities.
Educational requirements & experience
- Master of Material Science; Master of Materials Engineering; Master in Chemistry/Physics with material knowledge; Welding Engineer; or equal by experience.
- A PhD is an asset.
- 5+ years of experience in a metallurgical environment.
- Lab testing and practical experience.
- Fluent in English and good command of Dutch (or willing to learn).
You have an active, open, positive approach, and are always willing to learn.
You are self-driven and capable of working independently.
You are structured, ambitious, and result-driven.
You are a good team player.
You have strong drive for innovation and research.
You have good communication skills (listening, influencing, persuading).
You are scientifically critical, and a strong believer that “there is always a better way”.
You are safety-minded.
We add value wherever we do business
The Atlas Copco Group serves customers through innovative compressors, vacuum solutions, generators, pumps, power tools and assembly systems. We are a global and diverse Group of many strong brands and around 34 000 employees representing different cultures in more than 180 countries. We have a wide range of positions so whatever your interests or area of expertise, we offer interesting challenges and the opportunity to grow.
Passionate people create exceptional things. We believe in challenging the status quo, always looking for a better way. Our leading edge technology enables us to innovate for a sustainable future. We believe that people make it happen and with us you are empowered to act. Your ideas can make a real difference and contribute to the quality of life for people everywhere.
Learn more at www.atlascopcogroup.com