Through growing public concern for air quality, European guidelines and regulations have accelerated de-carbonization, especially in cities. Coupled with the ambition to reduce dependence on fossil fuels and to increase the use of renewable energies, this is the perfect opportunity for electrification.
Future-proof equipment is available today
The benefits of going electric cannot be overstated: from improved noise levels to no diesel engine emissions; and from improved efficiency to simpler service.
As long as you have an electric power source on site, electric-driven solutions will always be the most efficient. To help you reduce your energy costs, Atlas Copco pioneered Variable Speed Drive (VSD) technology in the compressed air industry. VSD leads to major energy-savings while protecting the environment for future generations. Thanks to continual investments in this technology, Atlas Copco Rental now offers a wide range of electric-driven VSD solutions that guarantee quality and energy efficiency. Even if you only temporarily use our equipment, you can continue to reduce your footprint. At its core, VSD technology is straightforward and easy to explain. The compressors closely follow the air demand by automatically adjusting the motor speed. This results in significant energy savings of up to 35%.
What makes the Atlas Copco VSD technology unique?
- The Elektronikon® controls both the compressor and the integrated converter, ensuring maximum machine safety within parameters.
- Flexible pressure selection with VSD reduces electricity costs.
- Specific converter and motor design (with protected bearings) deliver the highest efficiency across the speed range.
- The electric motor is specifically designed for low operating speeds, with clear attention to motor cooling and compressor cooling requirements.
- All Atlas Copco VSD compressors are EMC tested and certified. Compressor operation does not influence external sources, and vice versa.
- Mechanical enhancements ensure that all components operate below critical vibration levels throughout the entire compressor speed range.
- A highly efficient frequency converter in a cubicle ensures stable operation in high ambient temperatures of up to 50 ° C /122 ° F.
- There are no ‘speed windows’ to jeopardize the energy-savings and stable net pressure. The compressor’s turndown capability is maximized to 70-75%.
- Net pressure band is maintained within 0.10 bar, 1.5 psi.
VSD vs fixed speed
A variable speed drive (VSD), speed-controller or frequency-controlled, compressor automatically adjusts its motor speed to the air demand. Its counterpart, fixed speed or “idling compressor”, or “load/unload compressor, is either on full throttle or off.
Compare it to a car: an “idling compressor” either drives 100 km per hour or not at all. That is fine if the application requires either full load or no load compressed air supply. However, most applications don’t. They have a fluctuating air demand and that is where a VSD compressor step into the spotlight.
A Variable Speed Drive compressor simply adjusts its motor and elements speed to match the demand. The advantage is obvious: a variable speed drive only runs at the required speed, which saves considerable amounts of energy. When compared to an idling compressor, a VSD allows for energy savings of 35% on average, a GA VSD+ even 50% on average. Those savings do matter. Even when you only temporarily rely on an Atlas Copco Rental Total Solution.
From smaller E-Air compressors to the HNX 210 VSD trailer-mounted oil-free air and nitrogen booster, VSD technology is present on every level of our fleet. Contact your local Atlas Copco Rental representative for more information!