The selection of a generator is influenced by several parameters
These are the most important parameters determining the best generator for your situation:
- Starting and running: the required starting watts
- Your required running wattage
- Your load profile
- Voltage and frequency
- Ambient conditions like temperature and height above sea level
The impact of your load profile on generator sizing
A power generator runs optimally at full load. Once you lower the load level (eg when your power demand fluctuates); a power module becomes rather inefficient. Consider a power set-up with multiple generators running in parallel to optimize the overall efficiency. Quite often, 2 smaller generators working in parallel are more efficient than one over sized generator.
Based on our experience of powering all kinds of sites, we have developed this easy generator selector guide.Just 4 basic parameters guide you to a first power generator selection.
For more advanced guidance, change your user profile to expert to access a more powerful generator selector.
You can even email the results upon completion!
It takes just a minute to determine the best generator set-up for your requirements. If you have any questions on how to select the best generator, don't hesitate to contact us.
The impact of load profiles on generator selection
- When your power demand is stable (COP - Constant power load), you better select a generator that is optimized for your highest kilovolt-ampere (kVa) load. This is usually your starting wattage.
- The more your load fluctuates (PRP - variable power load), the more you can benefit from a proper generator selection. Contact your local rental specialists to guide you to the most optimal solution for your power requirements.
What is the risk of selecting the wrong generator?
Choosing the right size generator can boost your project with a higher efficiency and lower cost. When you don't select the right power generator, you could severely harm your operation.
Here are some of the highest risks:
- Power outage: an over sized generator causes a peak of electrical current. Your circuit breaker interrupts to protect your application.
- Insufficient power supply: not generating the power you need, hurting your operations.
- Fuel efficiency: an inefficient set-up will cause unnecessary fuel consumption, harming your ROI.
- Every refueling or service interaction equals an interaction onsite. Avoid unnecessary visits to minimize safety risks.
Total power solutions
- Expert project sizing – correctly sizing your project (e.g. air flow, pressure, temperature, dew point, etc.) is essential before deciding which equipment you need.
- Investigation of the area available for installation – space constraints and proximity to installation frames or other connection points are also important considerations for your rental solution.
- Certifications and conformities – Atlas Copco will meet your needs concerning occupational safety, quality, transportation and environmental regulations.
- Training – quality training for both emergency and maximum efficiency performance of your rented equipment.
- Technical Support – available 24/7, Atlas Copco’s expert technicians are available when and where you need them to minimize downtime and maximize performance.
- Preventative maintenance – Atlas Copco expert technicians perform preventative maintenance to ensure maximum uptime without any additional costs for you.
- Specialized equipment – experience the right equipment for the project, every time.
We offer a Total Solution!