We recommend you to consider:
- Pipework should slope away from the pump inlet and outlet. Liquid running back into the pump's exhaust can damage it as much as when it is sucked into the inlet.
- Think about vacuum gauge location and measurement range. Put tappings where you want to monitor pressure and also rate of pressure rise (leak rate quantification).
- Fit inlet commissioning screens and/or filters
- Fit liquid separators on the pump inlet as necessary.
- Do not forget to allow adequate maintenance access
Last, a word of warning: try to avoid inadvertently designing-in excessive pressure drop by applying a belt and braces approach to protection, or having a tortuous pipe run.